Since it was first introduced in the 1970s, the Honda Gold Wing has been a staple of the touring motorcycle world. In 2018, the sixth generation was released. There is a lot to love about this redesign, especially following the 17-year run of the prior generation. We expect a lot of riders will be shopping for discount motorcycle tires with all the cruising they will be doing on the newest Gold Wing.
What Is New?
The 2018 model year is a ground-up redesign of the bike. This big change was much needed as the prior iteration had been around between 2001 and 2017. The good news is that the new version has a lot of great updates. Unfortunately, satisfying everyone was an impossible task, so some riders may not like the latest version. Nonetheless, there are many things to be excited about.
- Completely updated electronics and technology: this includes a smart key, a new infotainment system with navigation, satellite radio and a very customizable control layout. It may take some getting used to for some riders.
- A new, fully redesigned flat-six engine: it is a little larger, a few pounds lighter and a lot more fuel efficient.
- New transmission options: these include a dual-clutch automatic and a six-speed manual.
- Redesigned storage options: these are sleeker looking but smaller than the predecessor’s storage.
- Larger brakes: the brakes a quite a bit larger and are certainly effective. A notable improvement since the fifth generations.
The 2018 Honda Gold Wing touring motorcycle is an admirable update. It isn’t exactly sporty, but prior generations weren’t either. Additionally, it has a little bit smaller storage. However, it offers a lot of new technology and is easier to maintain and operate.
One drawback of all the new changes is that there will be fewer used genuine Honda motorcycle parts and discount motorcycle tires available. That said, the popularity of Honda and the Gold Wing will probably catch up the market for parts and mods in no time. In short, this bike is a great purchase.